Q: Any tips to ensure that a meeting gets off to a good start?
A: The first thing to mention is to ensure you have prepared properly, including inviting the right attendees, choosing a good venue and/or suitable technology, and issuing joining instructions and an agenda.
Other things to get the meeting off to a good start could include:
- Clearly setting out the objectives for the meeting
- Introducing all the participants or, preferably, getting them to introduce themselves
- Running through the agenda
- Checking everyone has received any documents issued in advance
- Nominating people to the roles of chair, time-keeper, note-taker, scope-monitor and any session presenters (or, if already appointed, checking that everyone knows who is doing what)
- If it’s a new group, having some sort of ice-breaker